From PROTESTANTS AGAINST BIRTH CONTROL
If you are like almost every other recently engaged or newlywed couple, you have probably given some thought to the subject of birth control. Hopefully, you have even talked this over some with your soon-to-be mate. As you look forward to your wedding and your new life together, birth control is one topic that you and your future mate would be wise to discuss.
This article is designed to be a simple, brief review of the subject of birth control, from a Christian, Biblical perspective. It was written by a young couple who married not too long ago, and had to sort through the issue of birth control. Please read this through, and prayerfully consider its contents.
What is birth control?
With today’s modern technology, the newly married couple is bombarded with more choices of birth control than ever before. There are dozens of options, and this can make thinking through the alternatives very confusing.
A distinction exists between contraceptive birth control (Contraceptives) and abortifacient birth control (Abortifacients). Contraceptives include the so-called barrier methods: the condom, the diaphragm, the cervical cap; and anti-sperm methods such as the sponge, jellies, foams and creams. These methods prevent sperm from fertilizing an egg, which starts a new human life.
Abortifacients cause abortions. To put it bluntly, abortifacients kill pre-born children. Most Christians consider that the use of abortifacients is a personal choice. However, very few have really taken the time to understand that abortifacients cause growing little sons and daughters to die.
What is “the Pill”?
The Pill is a group of more than 50 similar types of abortifacients. These pills are taken orally, usually every day. They have three ways of working:
1. They prevent ovulation by suppressing the part of the brain which signals for ovulation to begin.
2. They change the lining in the cervix to make it more difficult for sperm to pass through and fertilize an egg.
3. They prevent implantation of newly conceived human life on the lining of the womb.1,2
The first two methods are contraceptive in nature, the last one causes abortions. The developers of the Pill realized that using only the first two mechanisms would let too many women become pregnant. So they added a chemical which denies the growing baby the opportunity to continue developing properly. The new pre-born baby starves to death and passes out from the mother’s body.
Very conservative estimates state that the Pill kills children between two and ten percent of the time.3 However, this does not account for two very important factors.
1. Many medicines such as antibiotics and several other external factors increase the abortion-causing nature of the Pill.4,5
2. Since 1988, the amount of the contraceptive component of the Pill was lowered, which allows the abortion-causing component of the Pill to come into play more often. This results in more abortions. It is estimated that some forms of the Pill of today cause abortions up to fifty percent of the time.6 Whether two or fifty percent, what Christians would ever consider gambling with the lives of their own children?
Among the more serious side effects of the pill are possible infertility, cervical cancer, breast cancer, tubal pregnancy inflammatory disease, increased chances of contracting sexually transmitted diseases, gall bladder disease, blindness, strokes, blood clots and even death.7,8,9
What is the IUD?
The IUD (Intra-uterine device) does nothing but cause early abortions. Inserted past the cervix, the IUD inflames the lining of the womb and stops implantation of the developing child.
IUD’s do nothing to prevent conception from taking place. Their only function is to cause these early abortions.
Some side effects of the IUD are possible perforation of the uterus, temporary or permanent sterility, tubal pregnancy, future miscarriages, pelvic inflammatory disease, and even death.10
What is Norplant?
Norplant is a series of capsules which are implanted under the skin. It is designed to be effective for up to five years. Norplant acts as both a contraceptive and an abortifacient. Studies show that it may cause abortions fifty to sixty-five percent of the time.11
A growing number of lawsuits are being filed against the makers of Norplant because of the difficulty of removal. Reported side effects include weight gain, nausea, yeast infections, and acne. The most serious side effects include heart attacks, strokes and nerve damage.12,13,14
What is Depo-Provera?
Depo-Provera is an injection received every three months. It acts as both a contraceptive and an abortifacient. It has the same three mechanisms that the Pill does, two are contraceptive, and one is abortion causing. Depo-Provera may cause abortions forty to sixty percent of the time. 15
Some side effects include an increased risk of breast cancer, mood swings, blood pressure problems, and weight gain.16,17
What is the future of abortifacients?
The abortifacients mentioned are the most common on the market. There are dozens of products in various stages of research, development or testing. RU-486 is just another of these human pesticides.
The latest abortifacient being used at several sites across the U.S. is the methotrexate/misoprostol combination.18 Like RU-486, it is purely abortifacient and not contraceptive. Methotrexate is an extremely aggressive chemical used in chemotherapy to eradicate cancer.19 Unfortunately, it also acts very brutally towards the pre-born child. Any standard drug reference manual should warn against pregnant women using this drug for any reason for the “risk to the unborn child” that it poses.20
There are also several vaccines being developed to prevent pregnancy. Some versions claim to be effective for up to five years. They work by stimulating the woman’s immune system to produce antibodies which attack the sperm or any newly conceived baby. All of the methods being tested seem able to produce abortions and kill helpless human life.
What about contraception?
As mentioned before, only a few methods of birth control called contraception are truly contraceptives. These are the condom, the diaphragm, the cervical cap, and the anti-sperm agents. While these methods do not cause abortions, a Christian couple should still weigh the facts carefully and consider Scripture before deciding to use one of them.
Although abortifacients and contraceptives are not the same thing, it is a mistake to assume that they are not related. Both have so much to do with how we view Christian marriage and children. Society views children as a burden; the Bible views them as blessings and gifts (Psalm 127:3-5).
Before you decide that contraception is what you really want, ask yourself, “In light of Scripture, why do we want to deny ourselves blessings and gifts from God?” Ask yourself, “Can we plan our family better than God can?”
We invite you to join us in the conviction that children are among the most wonderful blessings and gifts in the world. We believe that God can plan our families infinitely better than we ever could!
1. The Pill: How does it work? Is it safe?, Couple to Couple League Int’l Inc., PO Box 111184 Cincinnati OH, 42511-1184, (1993), pp. 2-3.
2. Ehmann, Dr. Rudolf. Abortifacient Contraception: The Pharmaceutical accutical Holocaust, Human Life International, 7845 Airpark Rd ., Ste. E Gaithersburg, MD 20879, (1993), p.1.
3. Infant Homicides Through Contraceptives, 2nd ed, Eternal Life, PO Box 787 Bardstown, KY 40004, (1994), p.1.
4. Ibid., p. 2.
5. Ehmann, pp. 16-17.
6. The Birth Control Game: With Lffe, American Life League/ Pharmacists for Life, PO Box 1350 Stafford, VA 22554, (1990), p. 2.
7. Appleton, Joan. The Pill: The Oral Method of Contraception, Pro-Life Action Ministries, PO Box 75368 St. Paul, MN 55175, (1995).
8. Oral Contraceptives Facts Sheet, Pharmacists for Life, PO Box 1281 Pawell, OH 43065-1281,(n.d.),p. 1.
9. The Medical Hazards of the Birth Control Pill, Child and Family Reprints, PO Box 508, Oak Park, IL 60303 (1969),p. 32.
10. lnfant HornicidesThroughCaltraceptives,p. 22.
11. lbid,pp. 28-29.
12. Norplant Facts Summary, Pharmacists far Life, PO Box 1281 Powell, OH 43065-1281, (n.d ), p. 2.
13. Reynolds, Barbara. Women Suffering frorn Norplant Arm-Twisting, U.S.A Today, (July 15, 1994), p. 15A.
14. Norplant Systems Package Insert, Wyeth Laboratories Inc., Philadelphia, PA 19101.
15. lnfant Homicides Through Contraceptives ,p. 28.
16. Ibid, pp. 11-12.
17. Beil, Laura, Popularity of Depo-Provera Soaring Despite Concerns of Minority by Women, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, (November 27,1995), p. 7E.
18. Beginnings, Pharmacists For Life, Vol. XI No. 5, p; 3.
19. Gr.iffith H. Winter. Complete Guide To Prescription and Non-prescription Drugs, 7th ed, The Body Press, 360 N. La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90048 (1990) pp. 634-635.
21. Infant Homicides Through Contraceptives, p.40.
22. Beginnings, Pharmacists far Life, Vol. XI No. 2, p. 3.
23. Birth Control Game: Gambling With Life, pp. 2-3.